Sunday, June 14, 2009

Spring Breakdown, an unsung heroine.

Earler this year, the gracious Amber Tamblyn posed on the cover of Bust. Her interview was a burst of "we can" hope that I love so much about the cover page ladies (and men) of Bust.

She talked about rejecting role after role trying to find more than fluff and even harder than that-comedic roles for women. This topic brought about her love for vivacious Amy Poehler, who Amber had met awhile back while filming a female-centric comedy. Its release date had been pushed back for some time.

When searching for a rental to cheer up the frown left by S. Darko, I found Spring Breakdown. Amber Tamblyn and Amy Poehler, this must be that movie! Like Never Been Kissed, it follows three grown friends who never fit in with anyone but themselves, and their trip to fit in at the MTV style Spring Break in San Padre. There reason for going is it is Becky's (Parker Posey) work assignment to follow Ashley (Amber Tamblyn) and stop her from becoming the next Bush Twins. Her mom is a senator from Texas and potential Vice President replacement, who cannot afford a scandal. If only she realized that her daughter enjoyed Shakespeare better than shaking beer all over scantily clad coeds.

Finally! Boys have Van Wilder, Road Trip, Super Bad, Old School and Animal House. Girls, get excited- We now have Spring Breakdown! Zing! At a co-ed college I was forced to watch these same movies again and again when drinking was concerned. Now when I have my home girls over to do some speed scrapbooking and throw back some brewskies I can pop in this gem. I love how it has enough raunchiness but still that touch of girl power.

With our economy still stuck in neutral, it is no wonder that so many movies as of late have released straight to DVD: S. darko, FanBoys, American High School and others in these past few months. Though it is quite sad that Spring Breakdown was not even in limited release. The ladies of the movie remind me of my hay day with the likes of HBFL. Even though this started as a rental for me, this is going to be another one for my collection.

No comments:

Post a Comment