Saturday, June 13, 2009

S.Darko. Summary: Fan Fiction

Twilight. After I reread the novels 15 times each. Then would only read passages like a religious text, I found myself needing more. Fan Fiction. Of course I googled and it was like coming up over a mountain to see more valley and beautiful streams. Of course there are some fan fictions that remind me of Ralphie's letter in a Christmas Story on why he deserves a bee-bee gun. Some are so in line with all my own thoughts and wishes that it makes the original text seem new and fresh again.

S.Darko is the kind of fan fiction that probably lead to its straight to DVD release last month. After watching it, I was sorry I didn't rewatch Donnie Darko to try and understand where the story line was coming from. Though I'm not sure the director or screenwriter cared much about the original plot as well. If they had a check list I'm sure they thought "Creepy goo coming from people's body's, Check! Scary bunny mask, check, now we just need some other ideas."

I was interested to check that the director, Chris Fisher, has not directed much besides a handful of primetime tv shows. Not the whole season, but just an episode or two. Nathan Adkins, the screen writer, has a lot under his belt in the edit room, but whimped out under the Writer category.

The story line is so hard to follow it makes it worse and worse. That and the significance of Donnie's decision in the first movie is almost belittled with everyone and their mom choosing to sacrifice themselves to save another. There were three things that made me watch to the end. One, Hope of some kind of full circle closure, which didn't happen. Two, Jackson Rathbone who got to flex his acting abilities more so then as Jasper Hale in Twilight (needless to say I thought he stole the screen during his parts). Three, the amazing 90s outfits that assembled, since it is suppose to be set in 1995. It reminded me of my carefree middle school days thumbing through Delias and Seventeen. Fourth, oops, there is a fourth reason.. Ed Westwick. I just want to stare in his eyes for a couple of decades.

Despite one or two scenes the acting by all makes S. Darko interesting to watch. It is unfortunate that the plot line would not be good even if you were drunk or strung out on drugs. I think it goes to show that we are living in times where every penny counts so it seems easier to latch on to other ideas and ride their success coattails. Unfortunately S. Darko is unlikely to even be a underground-undergound cult hit.

No comments:

Post a Comment