Sunday, March 7, 2010

Task 1 from Kathleen: Hang yo stuff!

As you can see my before is pretty pathetic it was one canvas that I got at Garden Ridge from one of my favorite textile designer/artist Kim Parker. Hello after! As I read in a recent blog "Don't decorate, curate!"
Curious as to the collection of goodies on my wall? Lets go through them!
  1. A collage that Jess made me Christmas of 2003 (it could have been earlier). It has always been that one piece that I always have on my wall. I moved it in from the craft room.
  2. This is my only try at oil paint. Yes it is a bleeding vag. Its titled "My Blue Period."
  3. A print I bought on Etsy twoish years ago. It has a couple, a guy with a keyboard and the girl with a sewing machine and "Home Sweet Home" above them. Though I'm proud of this frame, a Goodwill find, I painted it Black Cherry with the rim molding in Victorian Green then once over with a gloss finish. Yeah I know, snazzy.
  4. Picture of old fashion soda shop bottles, got it at Michael's when I was in high school and I finally framed it with an old barn wood frame to compliment the nostalgic feel.
  5. A mixed media canvas I bought a year and a half ago at The Big Ass Indie Craft Festival put on by the St. Louis Craft Mafia.
  6. A simple greeting card that says "Behind every clever girl is a guy with a beard and glasses."
  7. I can't think of the name of this collection but you usually find these cards in those hipster card shops like in Cary Town (Richmond) or The Loop (St. Louis). This was another Jess gift as a birthday card, "You're the strangest person I've ever met she said and I said you too & we decided we'd known each other a long time."
  8. Kathleen brought this home from her semester abroad in Espana. You'll notice I don't have it framed, I refuse to cut it down in size and its going to take a custom frame. Also I was inspired about an article about not framing all your work to make it feel less like a museum.
  9. This piece is of needle work was done by one of my mother's students before I was born, "War is not healthy for children and other living things." I found it deep down in one of her files and have cherished it since.

No comments:

Post a Comment