Monday, July 13, 2009

A star is born a star burns out.


The unexpected passing of my Grandad left me at a loss. I had all my Grandparents, up until last Wednesday. Grandad and my Grandma are the heart of our Oklahoma Brady Bunch Family. When my Grandparents got married Dick had four kids and my Grandma Betty Rae had five kids, but the only distinction of this difference is our skin and hair colors. Otherwise we are all for one and one for all: Duty / Rogers clan.
The only memorial service I have been too has been Kathleen's Grandmother Betty Jo. I have not seen a dead person until two days ago walking into the Funeral Home viewing of my Grandad laying there in the coffin. My grand mother buckled at the knees and would have fallen if her two sisters hadn't held her up. I don't think I've ever seen my Grandmother even cry at a movie. Seeing the sobs make her whole body convluse made me break down too. I kept waiting for my Grandad to sit up and say "Nownownow Betty Rae, its okay."
I am sadden for the reason we all came together, but we did laugh and celebrate too. I am forever changed. With mortality on my forefront of my mind, I think I will shift my wellbeing focus from mental to physical.
Here is my wonderful Grandad's obituary:
Memorial services for Richard Duty, 80, Ada, are 11 a.m. Monday at First Christian Church, the Rev. Vicki Crooks will officiate. Friends and family may call at Criswell Funeral Home on Sunday from 8 a.m. until 9 p.m.Mr. Duty died Wednesday, July 8, 2009, at an Oklahoma City hospital. He was born Dec. 19, 1928, at Pontotoc, Okla., to Richard J. and Mae Stewart Duty.He graduated from Tishomingo High School and the University of Oklahoma. He lived in the Ada area most of his life.He married Sue M. Smith in 1951 at Tishomingo. She died in 1969. He later married Betty Rae Thompson on Oct. 26, 1972. Mr. Duty was a professional chemical engineer at Kerr Lab and for the Environmental Protection Agency in water pollution control until his retirement. He was a member of the Disciples of Christ (First Christian Church) where he served as an elder and trustee. He was a member of the Gideon's International and had served in the U.S. Army.Survivors include his wife, Betty Duty, of the home; five sons, Stan Rogers and wife Vicki, Mechanicsville, Va., Steve Rogers and wife Patty, Stillwater, Sam Rogers and wife Mary Anne, Santa Fe, N.M., Scott Rogers and wife Nicole, Albuquerque, N.M., and Clint Duty and wife Beth, Tulsa; three daughters, Susan Rogers, Ada, Teresa Duty, Santa Fe, N.M., and Holly Easterling, Ada; a daughter-in-law, Kathleen Duty, Ada; grandchildren, Samantha Sanders and husband Ryan, Sarah Rogers, Claire Snelson and husband Joe, Stephanie Rogers, Seth Rogers, Michael Smola and Julia Smola, Cedar Easterling, Justin Vigil, Cory Rogers and Kayla Rogers, Andrew Duty, Kate Duty, Madelyn Duty, Emily Duty, and Hannah Duty, Zach Duty and wife Sarah, and Quinton Duty and Karlee Duty; and great grandchildren, Caden and Kylee Duty, Jameson Snelson and Rylee Sanders.He was preceded in death by his parents, Richard J. and Mae Stewart Duty, a son, David L. Duty; two sisters, Mary Gayle Reynolds and Dana Blair; and a brother, Michael S. Duty. Honorary bearers will be Bert Bledsoe, Jack Keeley, Kennett Ball, Dick Scalf, Jim Green, Ed Paulsen, Bill Baker, Jack Witherow, Clint Hall and Lowell Leach.The family says those who wish may make memorials to the Youth Fund of the First Christian Church, 101 E. 13th, Ada, OK 74820.Online guest book is available at www.adaeveningnews.com.Criswell Funeral Home, Ada

No comments:

Post a Comment