Sunday, October 4, 2009

Just give us this! Whip It.

Today I saw Whip It, Drew Barrymore's directorial debut, staring so many talented women I think it may take my brain power and another to wrap my mind around it.

Even though I have several (guy)friends that go to St. Louis's Roller Derby month matches I couldn't find anyone to skate along with me to the movies. Which is dangerous because I went to the one where I accidentally used the men's restroom after High School Musical 3 and was scared off when coming out of the stall to find the general manager peeing at a urinal. I don't know why urinals look like sinks in my peripheral vision. But I digress.

I couldn't find any friend of the girl nature just because some of the reviews they read were so-so. If I go back and look at those reviews I will believe that 100% of them are stupid males that don't understand what it was like to be awkward with a vag in high school. Some of the scenes played out just like a chapter from my crazy chaotic high school years. I fondly remember grossing out Kathleen by verbally spewing out mental images of her parents conceiving her, just like Bliss (Ellen Page) did for Pash (Alia Shawkat) to make her lose her stomach full of crappy party beer.

It was awesome, and no I probably won't recommend it to my friends who get boners over Chanel Chokehold #5. They just won't get it, but I do, and I praise the gifted girls in front and behind the cameras.

So men, yes there wasn't enough girl on girl fighting or action for you. Just suck it and just give us this, an awesome grrrrl movie that was made to move us. If it moves you too, well, then, just email me and we can act out the scene where Smashley Simpson (Drew Barrymore) jumps on her fiancee and knocks him to the ground.

No comments:

Post a Comment