Sunday, April 24, 2011

Like.... whatever, yeah

I remember a girl named Meredith that rode my bus in Elementary and Middle School. There are two stories I always think about when I think of Meredith. One was when she sang En Vogue's "Never Going to Get It" to my 6th grade bus boyfriend who wore the same Where in the World is Carmen San Diego? shirt every day, and had half a shaved head.

The second story takes place shortly before we parted same-bus-seat-sitting-circles in 7th grade. Now some may think that my later feminist adult mind made this up, but I don't doubt it. After laughing like an idiot at something a boy said, I asked her why she was acting different. By different I implied acting like a moron in front of said boy. "Boys don't like girls that are smarter than them."

After my date on Tuesday I was interested to know his last relationship didn't spark/work out because "she didn't have much going for herself." I can't shake the feeling I have too much going on. I discussed finance and politics, which he brought up and could wing a convo, but I knew more than just to be dangerous. I was everything opposite of this girl who "didn't have much going." I know that doesn't mean interest or that the spark was there, but I thought it would get me a call back. Not just two text message, where I was addressed as Sarah Michelle not Sarah Elizabeth.

We all keep our own lists of flaws we have with ourself. It juts hurts my heart that there are those out there who make girls think "Not dumb enough" should be added to that list.

No comments:

Post a Comment